The following is a timeline of past events from 2006-2007 that JRP organized and/or participated in:
- Centre for Research in Women’s Studies and Gender Relations
February 1, 2006
JRP presents at Centre for Research in Women’s Studies and Gender Relations, University of British Columbia.
- ‘IDEALaw’ Conference
February 10-11, 2006
JRP presents to the IDEALaw Conference, Dalhousie University, Nova Scotia.
- Northern Uganda Symposium Series
March 2, 2006
JRP is invited to participate in Northern Uganda Symposium Series, sponsored by the Human Rights Centre, University of California, Berkeley.
- Workshop on Transitional Justice
March 17-18, 2006
JRP organized a workshop on transitional justice in Gulu, Uganda.
- Liu Institute for Global Issues Seminar
June 5, 2006
JRP presents findings of its research in a seminar at the Liu Institute for Global Issues.
- Uganda Lobby Day and Symposium
October 9, 2006
JRP speaks on justice issues at the Uganda Lobby Day and Symposium in Washington, DC.
- ‘The Various Faces of Justice’ Symposium
November 11, 2006
Michael Otim presents on traditional justice at the ‘The Various Faces of Justice’ symposium at the University of Tokyo, Japan.
- ‘The Search for International Justice’ Screening
November 15, 2006
The film, ‘The Search for International Justice,’ by Judy Jackson aired at the Liu Institute, followed by a panel discussion with Dr. Gerald Caplan, James Otto, and Honorable Betty Aol Ocan in Vancouver Canada.
- ‘Advocacy, Peace and Justice in Northern Uganda’ Workshop
November 16-17, 2006
JRP organized a workshop on advocacy, peace and justice in northern Uganda at the Liu Institute for Global Issues.
- Consultative Workshop with Acholi Chiefs and Elders
November 18, 2006
JRP holds a consultative workshop with Acholi chiefs and elders on justice in Gulu, northern Uganda.
- Beyond Juba: Building Consensus on a Sustainable Peace Process for Uganda
December 1-2, 2006
JRP participates in the ‘Beyond Juba: Building Consensus on a Sustainable Peace Process for Uganda’ event organized by Refugee Law Project in Kampala.
- Transitional Justice and Displacement in the Great Lakes Region
December 3-5, 2006
JRP participates in the ‘Transitional Justice and Displacement in the Great Lakes Region’ event organized by Refugee Law Project and ATJRN in Kampala.
- Amnesty Commission Training
December 6, 2006
JRP presents in the ‘Amnesty Commission Training on Information, Counseling and Referral’ on traditional justice in Gulu. Click here for the concept paper.
- ‘Human Rights and Social Justice’ Conference
February 25-26, 2007
JRP’s Erin Baines presents at the ‘Human Rights and Social Justice’ conference, University of Winnipeg, on gender and justice.
- ‘Failed, Failing and Fragile States’ Workshop
March 7-9, 2007
Erin Baines presents at the ‘Failed, Failing and Fragile States’ workshop, UBC on peace vs. justice.
- Canadian Federation of University Women
March 19, 2007
Erin Baines presents to the Canadian Federation of University Women, Northern Vancouver, BC on gender and justice.
- Youth Peace Actors Assembly
April 11-13, 2007
Lino Owor Ogora presents on traditional justice at the Youth Peace Actors Assembly, sponsored by the Foundation for Youth Transformation in Gulu, Uganda.
- ‘Transitional Justice and Peace Negotiations’ Meeting
April 16-18, 2007
Michael Otim presents at ‘Transitional Justice and Peace Negotiations,’ hosted by the Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs and the International Centre for Transitional Justice in Oslo, Norway. Click here to read the presentation.
- ‘Radio Wars: Breaking the Waves of Hate, Turning the Tide towards Peace’ Conference
May 13-15, 2007
Boniface Ojok presents paper entitled, ‘Amnesty Radio in Northern Uganda: Rhetoric and Reality’ at Radio Wars: Breaking the Waves of Hate, Turning the Tide towards Peace’ conference, held in Montréal.
- Liu Institute for Global Issues Fundraiser
May 30, 2007
The Liu Institute for Global Issues holds a fundraiser to support war-affected young mothers in northern Uganda.
- Towards a Common Understanding of Traditional, National, and International Justice Options: A Seminar for Agenda Item 3 (Accountability and Reconciliation) at Juba Peace Talks
June 2, 2007
JRP co-organized with ICTJ, and convened by Ker Kwaro Acholi, a seminar on Agenda Item 3 at the Juba Peace Talks in Juba, Sudan.
- Truth-Telling and Verification Workshop With Local Stakeholders on ‘The Cooling of Hearts’
June 15, 2007
JRP held a verification workshop for our report ‘The Cooling of Hearts’ with stakeholders in Gulu before finalizing the document.
- ‘Building a Future on Truth and Justice’ Conference
June 25-27, 2007
Michael Otim presents at Building a Future on Truth and Justice, a conference held in Nuremberg, Germany.
- Lira Declaration on Agenda Item 3 of the Juba Peace Talks (Accountability and Reconciliation) by Cultural and Religious Leaders, Women and Youth from Madi, Teso, Lando and Acholi Sub-Regions
August 11, 2007
The Lira Declaration is the result of a consultation attended and signed by the leadership of traditional and religious institutions, including women and youth representatives in these institutions.
- Northern Uganda CSO Declaration on Agenda Item Three of the Juba Peace Talks
August 20-30, 2007
Over 100 civil society organizations were involved in consultative meetings in the regions of Acholi, Lango, Teso, and West Nile to reach a common position on the ongoing consultations on Accountability and Reconciliation at the Juba Peace Talks.