As part of our “Right to Know” campaign and in commemoration of the International Day of the Disappeared on August 30th 2012, the Justice and Reconciliation Project will be embarking on a week of activities in West Nile, Teso, Lango and Acholi sub-regions. We will be releasing an official press statement on the Right to Know Campaign on which will be available here.
Remember! We are constantly blogging about our activities during the campaign – read them here.
The Week Against Disappearances – Activities
- On Friday, 24th August 2012 we will be in Packwach, Nebbi District in West Nile sub-region for the screening of a short film entitled ‘The Right to Truth and Justice: Persons Missing in Northern Uganda as a Result of Conflict” and a dialogue about the issue of missing persons between 1:00 and 4:00 pm.
- Between 7:00 and 8:00 pm we will be on Arua One FM to discuss the situations in their regions regarding persons missing or un accounted for as a result of conflict along with a victim’s Representative and a representative from the Uganda Red Cross.
- On Monday, 27th August we will be at the Obalanga Sub-County Headquarters in Amuria District, Teso sub-region to screen the film and conduct a dialogue between 2:00 and 4:00 pm, followed by a discussion on Etop Radio with a victims representative and a member of the Obalanga Human Rights and Health Association.
- Abok, Oyam District in Lango sub-region will be the venue on Tuesday 28th August for the film screening and a dialogue between 2:00 and 4:00 pm. We will also be on Voice of Lango with a victim representative and a member of the Lira NGO Forum between 8:00 and 9:00 pm.
- The Week Against Disappearances will culminate on the International Day of the Disappeared on Thursday the 30th of August 2012 in Gulu. Along with Children/Youth as Peacebuilders, we will hold a ‘Dialogue on Disappearances’ as well as a candle lighting and prayer to pay respect and show solidarity of families affected by the issue. The event will take place at Hotel Free Zone from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and will include an address by the Guest of Honour Rwot David Acana II, Bishop Ochola, Sheik Musa K, the Team Leader of UN Human Rights and Hon. Ojara Martin Mapenduzi, the Chairman of the Gulu District Local Government.
- On Thursday, we will be on Radio Rupiny between 6 and 7 pm to discuss the campaign.
To confirm your attendance and or to request more information, please contact Sylvia Opinia the Team Leader for Community Mobilisation on +256 772332353 or email: email@example.com.